Monday, 30 April 2012

Grounds for a Divorce in The Bahamas

Grounds for Divorce

Divorce is a painful experience that affects the entire immediate family of the spouses as well as that of the extended families. Divorce can be civil as well as very brutal it depends upon the situation. Irregardless of the reason why a particular spouse may require a divorce from the other, that reason must aligned itself with the grounds for divorce in accordance with  the Matrimonial Causes Act, Section 16. The grounds are:

  • Adultery
  • Desertion from the other spouse for a period of no less that two years at the time of the Petition
  • Living apart from spouse for a period of at least five years at the time of the Petition
  • Spouse has engaged in sodomy or a homosexual act or had sexual relations (intercourse) with an animal since the celebration of the marriage or
  • the wife may file for a divorce if her husband has been found guilty of  Rape since the celebration of the marriage.
Since this has become a very popular but rather contentious area of Bahamian law we will expand upon this area of law fully in order that you may have a good understanding of this law and to assist you in making intelligent decisions. You are reminded that a divorce will affect the lives of your children, therefore, it is always better to seek counselling before you make that final decision of no return.

We have linked to the Bahamas Matrimonial Causes Act, so that you may read it carefully and educate yourself on all relevant points of this law. Here is the link .

As usual you are invited to contact us by email at , by phone at 242-328-8510 or by visiting our website at


  1. my husband was serve with a legal separation child support and alimoy summons from me because he had neglect and abanded us for 9months we went to court for those hearing child suport was granted and legal separation and alimoy was threwn out because my husbands lawyer said that they are going stright to the divorce i as serve with the petion 2wks ago and it clearly stated that i will have to pay both lawyer fees is this even possible

  2. My husband left me and our kids 4 yrs 7 months now he says he wants a divorce but will not go forth with the proceedings he is living with his girlfriend and now that am not working anymore he decided he wants to take the kids from me to live with his girlfriend who has two kids which is not his own and he stopped paying the rent for where we were living i don't have a job and no source of income even to hire a lawyer what do i do how can you help email a responds at thank you kindly

  3. If somebody wants expert take on the main topic of blogging next I advise him/her to go to this site, continue the fussy job.LA Mediation Lawyer

  4. vcdsfsdcvarewfdsfascwqfefesfvdafsdfsedfdvasrefdsvsdf- unmarried person

  5. My husband left me for 14 years and i took him back and in the married he got two children I got attack by both one of the child and my husband I don't work can I get wife maintenance

  6. My husband left me for 14 years and i took him back and in the married he got two children I got attack by both one of the child and my husband I don't work can I get wife maintenance

  7. My husband committed adultery and now the girl is pregnant what rights do I have can I take the child from the mother when it is born if it is proven that the child belongs to my husband

  8. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:( Thank you.


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..

    Email Kindly Contact:



    I am a Reputable, Legitimate and an accredited money Lender. I loan money out to individuals in need of financial assistance. Do you have a bad credit or you are in need of money to pay bills? i want to use this medium to inform you that I render reliable assistance as I’ll be glad to offer my Services which include the below details.
    *Personal Loans
    *Business Loans
    *Commercial loans
    *Auto Loans
    *Home Improvement loans
    *Credit card loans
    *Car loans
    *International Loans
    If interested kindly apply via email:
    For more details, you’ll be mailed a Loan application form to fill. (No social security and no credit check, 100% Guaranteed).
    I look forward permitting me to be at your service.

    Yours Sincerely,

  10. Do You Need a loan…..?
    Contact Michael Nordmann Financial Service , a private money lender and also in real estate management. Here comes a

    good loan offer for all those who needs Financial assistance at a low rate of 3%. With Red Cross loan Improvement, you

    can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties.

    We give out loans of any amount. We fight financial crisis and to give a room for bright future in our society as we do

    our business .If you are interested you should indicate your interest and we shall assist you in securing your loan.

    Contact Person: Mr Michael
    Contact Number: +15125627955

  11. The spell cast by made wonders, if you have search for a powerful spell caster to restore relationship and they have all failed you then i will advise you to run to Dr Mack, you will have your lover back.🤗❤🙏🙌